By Rev Tan Eng Boo
The women at the cross and the grave have become models for every disciple through the ages.
"Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene" (Jn. 19:25).
"A large number of people followed him, including women who mourned and wailed for him" (Lk. 23:27).
"But all those who knew him, including the women who had followed him from Galilee, stood at a distance, watching these things" (Lk. 23:49)
What can we learn from these women?
1. Their love for Jesus: The women grieved when Jesus died but when they saw Him after His resurrection, they were filled with joy. These women teach us to love the Lord deeply and under all circumstances. They did not abandon Jesus when He was crucified or even when He died. We can learn from their display of deep love and dedication, that even when circumstances try to shake our faith, we must remain steadfast.
2. Their faithful servanthood: These women had faith which revealed them to be faithful disciples. When Jesus travelled from town to town, these women followed Him and were His faithful servants. They supported His ministry through their own means to make sure that every town heard the gospel.
“Soon afterward he went on through cities and villages, proclaiming and bringing the good news of the kingdom of God. And the twelve were with him, and also some women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out, and Joanna, the wife of Chuza, Herod's household manager, and Susanna, and many others, who provided for them out of their means” (Lk. 8:1-3)
As faithful servants of God, we ought to give of ourselves to living for the Lord.
May Good Friday be the day that we dedicate ourselves to the Saviour who loved us and died for us.
Faithful To The End
Faithful to the end I want to be,
Not just a day but through eternity.
Running to win and enduring the pain.
Faithful to the end in Jesus name!
1. We give you best place in our heart,
Our lives consecrate every part.
Loyal and faithful ever to Thee,
Dear Lord, by Your grace we will be.
2. Come take our life, dear Lord, we pray,
Use it for your glory each day.
You are our Saviour, Lord and friend,
We promise to serve you to the end.
3. Living and dying I owe to Thee,
You gave Your life to set me free.
Faithful to the end ‘tis my plea,
How happy then my life shall be.
(Theme Song of the International Council of Christian Churches Conference, Bacolod, the Philippines 2010)